Like us on facebook →
|Justin Morrice with daughter Annabelle (left), Gerber Lil’ Crunchies (right)|
A father was feeding his daughter the same popular puff snacks he’s always given her when she began acting odd. Frantic to fix what was happening, the dad had to save her life when she stopped breathing. After she was stabilized, he noticed an alarming message he had never seen before on the back of the snack container.
Had Justin Morrice’s little girl Annabelle not nearly died, he would have never thought to look at the misplaced message on the Gerber Lil’ Crunchies container, but now he’s bringing a lot of attention to it. The 10-month-old had never had a problem with the puffs until this incident that could happen to anyone if they don’t follow this simple word of advice that the baby food company should have made more apparent.
In a now , Justin explained that his daughter was eating the light and airy snack when she suddenly stopped breathing. Within 10 seconds, the baby’s lips had already started turning blue. “She was trying to cry but no sound was coming out,” Justin recalled. “I rushed over and picked her up and turned her over and slapped her back (as we were taught) for what seemed like forever. I still could not hear anything.”
The father’s survival mechanisms kicked into high gear, and he jammed his fingers down Annabelle’s throat to break apart anything that was blocking her airway. The only reason this happened is because of a little-known issue with what happens to the puffs after five days of opening the can.
After hearing her cry and knowing that she survived the choking incident, Justin started to investigate the snacks and saw a rather hidden warning on the can that said, “Use within five days after removing seal for optimal freshness.” He grabbed a snack out of the can and bit into himself when he realized that the puff was hard as a rock when it should have dissolved quickly on its own.
“The ones in the can she choked on I can only describe to be like a foam ear plug. I could squish it but it would expand back out and would not break apart,” he explained in the post. “The ones in the new can crumbled with ease.” He hadn’t had the can for weeks or months, as staleness set in almost immediately after the 5-day expiration time.
Within two weeks, Justin’s post has been shared over 40,000 times, getting the word out about this serious concern since the company didn’t make it more known. For a snack to expire in five days of opening is far sooner than anyone would expect and a fact that Gerber should have probably made clearer. Maybe now that a baby nearly died from the suddenly stale puffs, the company will put the warning in bigger print and avoid a future lawsuit.
H/t: Mad World News